Here’s a great recipe to enjoy some summer corn. Feel free to use fresh corn and cut the kernels off the cob. Canned corn is an agreeable substitute.
CONFETTI CORN CAKES
¾ c. flour
¼ c. yellow cornmeal
½ t. baking powder
¼ t. salt
¼ t. paprika
1 c. creamed corn
1 egg, lightly beaten
½ c. milk
1 T. canola, vegetable or corn oil
1 large ear of corn, kernels cut and scraped from cob or ½ c. canned yellow corn
2 T. minced white onion
1 jalapeño, minced
1 red pepper, chopped finely
1. Sift the dry ingredients into a bowl.
2. Mix the creamed corn, fresh corn, egg, milk, and oil and stir into the dry ingredients.
3. Add the jalapeño, white onion and red pepper to the mixture. Do not over mix.
4. Cover and allow to rest at least 30 minutes before cooking.
5. Heat a non-stick skillet over medium-high heat and add enough vegetable oil to coat bottom lightly.
6. Ladle about ¼ c. of the mixture for each cake. When bubbles start to form on top, flip the cake and cook other side until golden. Serve immediately.
Notes: If the batter is too thick you can add a little milk to thin it out. Start out by adding a tablespoon at a time, if necessary. Also, you can use all whole corn kernels and no creamed corn. This is how I usually make them.