Here is a salad recipe I created for a cooking class I taught at Lafayette for the Council of Lafayette Women.
2 heads frisée lettuce
1 bag arugula or baby arugula
2 lbs. sea scallops
1 lb. pancetta (solid piece)
2 large cans Mandarin oranges
2 bags sliced almonds
extra virgin olive oil
½ c. extra virgin olive oil
½ c. sherry wine vinegar
½ c. maple syrup
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
2. On a large baking sheet spread out almonds and toast until lightly brown, about 7-10 minutes. Remove from oven and cool.
3. In a small bowl whisk together ingredients for Maple-Sherry Vinaigrette. Adjust proportions of ingredients to suit your taste. Set aside.
4. Dice the pancetta into 1” cubes. Sauté until cooked through. Drain fat.
5. In a large mixing bowl add almonds, pancetta, and Mandarin oranges.
6. Tear the frisée lettuce into small pieces. Add to mixing bowl with arugula.
7. Pat scallops dry. Toss with some extra virgin olive oil and salt. Grill until just done, about 2-3 minutes per side. Add to bowl and toss well. Add Maple-Sherry Vinaigrette and toss again. Serve immediately.